Contact details and prices
Please email or call me to discuss details of research or courses you would like me to provide.
+44 (0)1603 610619
Past Search is based in Norwich, United Kingdom.
I charge £30 Sterling per hour for research, with a minimum of two hours for the first commission. You can commission research via PayPal, cheque or bank transfer. If you do not have a PayPal account you can still pay via credit or debit card using the button below.
Additional costs such as copying, certificates and photography permits are charged at cost. I do not charge for answering emails, letters and telephone calls, or for travel within the counties of Norfolk and Suffolk. Neither do I charge extra, or a higher hourly rate for transcribing old documents such as manorial records or wills as the skills involved are an integral part of a research service.
I offer clients the option of paying either by the hour, or having a tailored package, according to requirements. Once a research plan and amount of work has been agreed I will proceed. All reports detail the research process, including the sources searched, all findings and any negative results. If appropriate, an analysis of the research findings and suggestions on how to proceed further is included along with any relevant local and social history pertaining to the family or area researched.
I always work within your needs and budget and welcome any size commission. I am therefore able to assist you whether you need research into just one individual ancestor, a specific line or several branches.
Most clients decide on how much they wish to spend then spread the payments as it suits them. For large research projects, ongoing research and for clients who prefer to preset a maximum amount to spend, I accept payments on deposit provided an initial time limit is set. I will then continue with the research until I either get to the agreed limit, or come to a dead end. Itemised statements showing payments made and any amounts either due or in credit are sent to the client as each stage of work is completed.
I provide a professional service, to this end I undertake to proceed with work in the following ways:
- I provide an expert professional service. I tailor this service to a timescale and budget to suit you.
- I provide regular written progress reports by email or letter as you require.
- All reports detail the research process, including sources searched, all findings and any negative resultsI do not exceed the time commissioned without prior agreement.
- I do not exceed the time commissioned without prior agreement.
- I provide photocopying of documents and ordering of certificates etc. at cost.
- I always give my best advice on the most appropriate actions to take in the event of problems, dead ends or uncertain results.
- On some occasions I may make use of other researchers where their specific areas of expertise will improve the quality of service. However, I will always remain your main contact for the work.
- Although I always endeavour to exhaust all possibilities in the search for your ancestor(s), it must be recognised that in some cases the historical sources are inadequate, have been lost or destroyed and that sometimes it will not be possible to find the proofs you are seeking.
- I archive all material and retain it for a minimum of 5 years from the completion of work unless otherwise agreed. All work is treated as confidential and belongs to the client. I always act in full compliance with the Data Protection Act 2018, the Freedom of Information Act 2000. I will not pass on any details of you or your research interests to a third party without your prior written authority.